Checker Boards 1937-1938      
The tables recall a time when checker playing in
Courthouse Park was a popular pastime, and
occasional tournaments were held there. The
tables were installed after a group of local checker
players, headed by James Bogan, lobbied the
Board of Supervisors to provide adequate and
permanent playing equipment. Before the
installation, players had to use boards positioned
on top of garbage cans.